As the weather begins to cool and we prepare to cosy up with some of our favourite comfort foods for winter, I wanted to share a favourite recipe of ours here at The Grounds that makes for a perfect shared meal. Gather the family around with our Moroccan salad, prepared on a bed of chickpeas & brown rice with tasty little heroes using cherry tomatoes, pomegranate seeds, fresh herbs and a zesty dressing.
Follow the recipe below for an autumn dish that’s healthy, filling and most importantly, delicious. There’s loads of health benefits and reasons to whip this dish up (you’ll find the details at the bottom of the post) and it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Ingredients (SERVES 6):
9 cups cooked brown rice
350g roasted, diced pumpkin
150g blistered cherry tomatoes
100g pomegranate seeds
50g toasted, crushed almonds
50g softened sultanas
100g fried chickpeas
150g poached chickpeas
Juice of 3 lemons
Zest of 1 orange
½ tsp cumin powder
½ tsp coriander powder
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
100ml olive oil
100ml grape seed oil
50ml chardonnay vinegar
1 tbls honey
6 tbls labneh
Dusting of mild paprika and cayenne pepper
Small handful of edible florals
Small handful parsley leaves
Small handful picked mint leaves
- Combine all dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Mix all salad ingredients (excluding a small handful of toasted almonds & pomegranate seeds) together and dress with lemon & honey vinaigrette. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Divide salad between 6 bowls and top each with a tablespoon of whipped labneh, dust with mild paprika & cayenne pepper and sprinkle with remaining almonds and pomegranate seeds.
- Finish with edible florals, mint and parsley leaves.
- For an added hit of protein, top with your favourite ingredients! I recommend poached free-range chicken or grass-fed beef rump.
“This vegetarian bowl is rich in plant iron, found in chickpeas, brown rice and almonds. Iron is an essential mineral needed by your body to form new red blood cells, transport oxygen to your muscles & your immune system function. The vitamin C found in the tomatoes & pumpkin help boost the absorption of this plant iron. This dish is also high in fibre from the chickpeas and brown rice. Fibre aids healthy digestion and will help keep you feeling fuller for longer, which can assist weight loss efforts. This Moroccan Bowl is also a good source of plant protein, found in the chickpeas, and contains antioxidants and essential vitamins in the colourful veggies & pomegranate seeds,” Rebecca Gawthorne – Dietitian & Nutritionist